Friday, July 25, 2008

One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs

And the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.

that's a part of the poem by Saib-e-Tabrizi, a tribute to kabul, that inspired the name of the book, a thousand splendid suns, by khaled hosseini. now you might remember me recommending the kite runner, which I absolutely loved. this meant that I had very high hopes for a thousand splendid suns, and I was not disappointed...


the story is very similar to the kite runner in many ways. the set is in afghanistan, and describes the story of two girls with vastly yet similar lives whose fortunes get intertwined. it deals with losing close and loved ones, about the terrors of the war, and the situation there. it's ultimately a sad, sad story, but there's so much joy, love and hope in between. I found it a bit hard at first to connect with the characters, but from halfways through the book, it just grips you all the way to the end.

I really suggest reading this one too, khaled hosseini is an amazing author. obviously you should read the kite runner first, but definitely pick this one up after.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading 'The Kite Runner' right now. Great book!

    ReplyDelete