Sunday, August 03, 2008

talents, movie and piano

that's a pretty good summary of my weekend, which turned out into a really good one.

friday evening sported an open mic. with around 30-35 appearances, it was bound to be long. but it was good. and fun. there was everything to enjoy, from singing and dancing to poetry recital, story reading and the random talk. it's an amazing amount of talent here, and I'm sure there were a couple of people more who could've wowed the crowd. maybe for next time.

afterwards we went to have some pizza and watch troy, but that's not the movie I'm thinking about. no, something better was to come...

much better indeed. we went to see batman the dark knight after having it recommended to me by quite a fair amount of people, and I found it to be as good as it was made out to be. I really enjoyed the characters, the plot and the action. one thing I also really enjoyed was the level of sacrifice among many of the characters. I don't want to spoil the plot if you haven't seen it already, but it's really encouraging to see how many that are wiling to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. something really inspiring actually.

in the evening we went to a piano recital, which was just absolutely amazing. two of the youth here decided to share some of their talents with us, and it was really breathtaking. they started off with this quotation from Bahá'u'lláh:

We have made it lawful for you to listen to music and singing. Take heed, however, lest listening thereto should cause you to overstep the bounds of propriety and dignity. Let your joy be the joy born of My Most Great Name, a Name that bringeth rapture to the heart, and filleth with ecstasy the minds of all who have drawn nigh unto God. We, verily, have made music as a ladder for your souls, a means whereby they may be lifted up unto the realm on high; make it not, therefore, as wings to self and passion.

watching them play made me wish that I hadn't stopped playing piano some 10 years ago or so. there's something soothing about being able to sit down by a piano, just play something and relax. beyond the beauty and enjoyment of the music (there's also something special about listening to piano being played live), what made me enjoy this recital even more was how they themselves were so into the music they were playing, the facial expressions (we got to sit quite close), and just their engagement into their playing. it was a really nice ending to the weekend, and I think we all left there feeling happy, relaxed, and uplifted. thank you guys!

1 comment: