Tuesday, February 26, 2008

it's live!

finally! okay, it's been sneaking around and been available online for a while, and if you've been attentive enough you might've even seen the link to the right...

I started on this project almost three months ago, mentioned it here a week after, and then last month I sort of promised that there would be an update coming up if I made it to 10000 visitors by 15th of february. well, I made it, so here goes the update and the real info.

the goal has been to provide an adequate study tool for the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, the Most Holy Book of the Bahá'í Faith:

The Kitáb-i-Aqdas is referred to as "the Mother-Book" of the Bahá'í teachings, and the "Charter of the future world civilization" (God Passes By, p. 213 [2]). It is not, however, only a ‘book of laws’: much of the content deals with other matters, notably ethical exhortations and addresses to various individuals, groups, and places. The Kitáb-i-Aqdas also discusses the establishment of Bahá'í administrative institutions, Bahá'í religious practices, laws of personal status, criminal law, ethical exhortations, social principles, miscellaneous laws and abrogations, and prophecies.

it's been a long journey, a lot of work, and it's not completely done yet. I have a list of a few things I want to change, and a few functions/features that I might want to add. but there's quite a lot of information to access already now, and I hope that it will hopefully be helpful. the original idea was to connect the Synopsis and Codification to the verses, questions and answers, and notes to enable an easier overview of what's in the Aqdas and how everything is related and connected.

as I had to enter all the text in the database, I realized that almost everything from the book was already there, so I decided to go on and add the foreword/introduction, supplementary texts, and index, so that basically everything in the Aqdas was available here as well. the advantage is that it's easier to find things, and you don't have to turn any pages to find adjacent texts. there are also some other functions that are not available in the book: search (still needs to be improved), cross-referencing (as I said, the entire reason the project got started) and fullindex (enables to see all references related to an index term).

there are so many people to thank for their help, support and encouragement that to mention them all would be impossible. I have named a few on the about page, and also grouped some together. it's been an awesome journey for me, I have learned a lot, and I hope that it will be useful for many others. I am happy to have been able to follow through with the project, and to hear my parents say they're proud of me means the world to me.

click the logo to visit www.theaqdas.org:

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, I can't wait to check it out in detail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple. Elegant. Well thought out. I think you've provided a very approachable interface to such a momentous book. Nice to see you fixed up the search :). Let me know if you need any help on the nerd tip of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow....simply incredible!!! amazing, amazing job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you all for your kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete