Thursday, February 14, 2008

ronaldo, r9, el fenómeno...

I don't blog much about football anymore, much because I don't really watch anymore. but today, I must...

this morning, I thought of a few players that I haven't seen live yet, and which I'd like to before their careers end. riquelme, carlos tevez, cristiano ronaldo were on that list, but first and foremost - ronaldo. he has always been one of my absolute favorite players, especially since he signed for inter back in 1997. regardless of where he's played, I've always enjoyed watching him.

and what do I read today? his carrier is probably over, after severing the tendon in his left knee last night. this is the third time it happens (1998 and 2000, although that was the other knee), and the chances of him making another comeback are slim to say the least. unfortunately :(

three videos:







he scored an amazing 240 goals in 392 games, which gives him a striking average of 0.61. any striker over 0.5 should be happy. considering that he was mostly injured during the latter years of his career, skipping his last two years would bring him closer to a scoring average of 0.7.

ronaldo combined speed, technique and control, to an extreme degree. he could take on entire defenses on his own, and could almost score at will. left or right foot, it didn't matter. dribble the defense (and the keeper!), shoot from distance, headers, free-kicks, he absolutely had it all. 3-time world player of the year, all-time world cup top scorer, 3-time world cup winner, a few top scorer awards, etc etc... he will definitely be missed.

read more about him on wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. ronaldo melhoras q deus te abençoe!

    ReplyDelete