Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hidden Words

I have decided to start with the Hidden Word of the week. The Hidden Words were revealed by Bahá'u'lláh around 1857 while He was in Baghdad. it is revealed in part arabic and persian, and consists of a collection of short, but beautiful statements on how to live life. the tone is from God speaking to humanity, and it is basically the essence of everything revealed in the religions of the past. this is from the beginning of it, sort of the preface:

HE IS THE GLORY OF GLORIES!
This is that which hath descended from the realm of glory, uttered by the tongue of power and might, and revealed unto the Prophets of old. We have taken the inner essence thereof and clothed it in the garment of brevity, as a token of grace unto the righteous, that they may stand faithful unto the Covenant of God, may fulfill in their lives His trust, and in the realm of spirit obtain the gem of Divine virtue.


now I will probably go through them in order, one each week, which will take me about 3 years to finish. but I have decided not to do that for the very first one, but instead take one that meant quite a lot to me. this is number 4 from the persian:

O SON OF JUSTICE!
Whither can a lover go but to the land of his beloved? and what seeker findeth rest away from his heart's desire? To the true lover reunion is life, and separation is death. His breast is void of patience and his heart hath no peace. A myriad lives he would forsake to hasten to the abode of his beloved.

and the reason why I picked this one here, is because it influenced me and my decision to come here to serve. Bahá'u'lláh being the beloved, where else would I find my rest and reunion than here? it was a difficult choice to move, but still easy at the same time. I am very happy to be here, and do not regret it for a second.

this obviously does not have to mean physical nearness, as we are trying to be close to God on a spiritual level. however, being here, physically close to the Shrines and having access to everything else historical that has happened here, certainly does help.

No comments:

Post a Comment