Tuesday, November 15, 2005

the first meeting

today I had my first meeting with my tutor.

I had previously talked to our administrator and described a basic idea of what I was thinking of doing, and he said it sounded good and interesting, so I was told to write up an introductional specification and send to a suggested tutor. (I'll translate it to English and post here later.) so I did...

so in the meeting we first just broadly discussed the subject and the idea, what it was, how everything was connected and so. since I've been doing this for so long, it's all very clear in my head how everything works, but to get it down on paper and to explain to others, it's kinda hard... I think I managed to explain quite well, but I'm going to write it down so it becomes part of my final specification.

anyways, we decided that my original description perhaps was lacking a bit of information, and wasn't really unique in what it was, so after some talking and thinking back and forth, we found a solution. since user-centered development requires a lot of workshops and meetings, etc., where the users have to physically participate, doing it over distance will naturally pose problems; it's not easy to have meetings when they're spread out all over the country...

so my project's problem will basically be to see how one can resolve the problem of user-centeredness over distance. and what I have to do now is to write my specification, which should include:
  • heading/my name/tutor's name/date
  • definition of the problem
  • description of the goal of my master's thesis
  • list of the literature I have to read and how it will be examined
  • description of the methods I will use to solve the problem
  • list of needed equipment
  • clear limitations of what the master's thesis will and will not do
  • timeplan
lots of work...

will write more about the project tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, please, entertain us with your wonderful life, please, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least I update it daily... ;-)

    ReplyDelete