Thursday, December 17, 2015

Between the World and Me

Between the World and MeBetween the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I should start this by saying that not growing up in North America, I have been spared of a lot of the race issues, and as such I am probably ignorant of a lot of the more subtle undertones in the book. Regardless, there is so much here to read for anyone that I can definitely recommend it.

Ta-Nehisi writes to his son, and it reads as a biography of his own life growing up as a black man. There is a lot of anger in the book, but it is understandable, having the feeling of not being in control of his own body, and that at any time, his life can be taken away from him. It's a sad state that the US is in, where a large portion of the population has been dehumanized and lives in constant fear.

The book is a quick read, but a very good one. There is a lot to learn from and reflect on, and think of how we can contribute to a better society for us all.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment