Tuesday, December 18, 2007

diversity

a quick reflection on the diversity of the Baha'i Faith: serving here in the Baha'i World Centre means daily getting exposed to and interacting with people from a countless of countries, ethnic and cultural backgrounds. just the other day, sitting in a taxi on our way to football, the four of us were from canada, singapore, vanuatu and sweden - the driver obviously a local israeli. in just about 160 years, the Faith has spread literally all over the world:

The Bahá'í Faith is an independent monotheistic religion with a worldwide population of some 5 million people. They come from more than 2,000 different tribal, racial, and ethnic groups and live in 235 countries and dependent territories. The Britannica Book of the Year (1992) referred to the Bahá'í Faith as the second-most geographically widespread religion in the world, after Christianity. (source)

if you remember this post, about the 16 countries in our 29-person big group (this time they are 23 from 12 countries), you'll realize that almost every country you can think of is represented here. I wish I knew exactly how many countries we had represented here, but I'd say we're easily from at least 70-80 different countries here. I think it's an amazing feat, and to also see everyone so united and full of love, despite the differences among us. it really gives hope for the future.


in other, quite unrelated, news, I had to suffer from some food experimenting the other day. pouring up cereal and only afterwards noticing that we were out of milk, I was left wondering what to do. after some dividing, I decided to try orange juice instead.
I won't do it again. it wasn't absolutely horrible, but it sorta left a kind of taste that you didn't expect. asked a couple of people here in the office, and they said they'd go for water. maybe I'll do that next time, but it feels kinda boring. hopefully there won't be a next time though.


I got challenged to list my seven wishes and challenge seven other bloggers to do it as well. I don't know what to think of it... I can only be content with what I have here, my experiences and challenges. as Bahá'u'lláh says: "Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity" I think I will just try to live by that. I'm going to do my best in all I do, and hope for the best. whatever happens to me is in God's hands:

O thou who art turning thy face towards God! Close thine eyes to all things else, and open them to the realm of the All-Glorious. Ask whatsoever thou wishest of Him alone; seek whatsoever thou seekest from Him alone. With a look He granteth a hundred thousand hopes, with a glance He healeth a hundred thousand incurable ills, with a nod He layeth balm on every wound, with a glimpse He freeth the hearts from the shackles of grief. He doeth as He doeth, and what recourse have we? He carrieth out His Will, He ordaineth what He pleaseth. Then better for thee to bow down thy head in submission, and put thy trust in the All-Merciful Lord.
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá -

1 comment:

  1. i thought diversity was a old ship from the civil-war time?

    ReplyDelete