Saturday, June 30, 2007

strange, strange book

vernon god little is one of the strangest books I have ever read. it's about a 15 year old boy who is accused of shooting 17 kids at his high school. so instead he decides to run away to mexico, and we get to follow his story...



now, what's so special about this book... first of all, it's got a lot of foul language. as a review of the book says: "Every page, yes, without exaggeration, every page has a free sprinkling of the f— word..."
now this made me doubtful if I wanted to finish reading the book; the first 50 pages was really a challenge. however, I decided to continue reading, because it had won the man booker prize for fiction in 2003, so somehow it had to be good, right?

well, partly... it was an interesting book, although very difficult to get through. at first. the last 150 pages (the book is ~280 pages) I read through it without stopping. where? at the airport, in the waiting hall, *after* receiving my luggage. I just couldn't stop reading.

language was always a barrier, but it got interesting to hear the story about the boy as he progresses on his trip and where it leads him. and it does get better up until the end. not sure if I recommend it though, unless you're really into reading it.

to top it up, here's a fact from the wiki page: Out of 4,000 Britons polled, 35% who started reading this book did not finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment