Thursday, March 29, 2007

problem solving 101

in the computer world, the basic idea behind every sort of problem solving when it comes to bugs, after of course finding/identifying the problem, is reproducing it. if you can't reproduce an error, it's very difficult to be able to solve it. that's why it's very important to have "competent" users, that can properly report when something's wrong, and how they go about in creating the problem.

the past few days I've been sitting and trying to solve a problem that is extremely random. I have a (somewhat accurate) description of how to produce it. the only problem is that it only seems to occur every now and then. I have been able to reproduce it myself, but then some other times it seems to work as it should. and the logs don't show anything strange...

this is quite frustrating to say the least. I don't know how to attack the problem, and the thoughts for solutions I've had have been quite a bit off. one idea I had did solve the problem, but created some other problems. so it wasn't really a solution :)

meanwhile I've been working on some other things have that been going well. it always feels good to solve problems or fix things, especially when you know right from the start what you're going to do.

we had ice cream at work today again, this time it was on me. three or four days in a row that I've had ice cream, love the spring =D

No comments:

Post a Comment