Monday, July 30, 2007

a bizarre day

so I finally got back yesterday, and I thought I'd start by sharing some stuff about this day. the whole trip was great, but surrounded by some unfortunate events (my phone). read on...

as I got into london/heathrow I had to transfer terminals, from 4 to 1, to continue my trip back home. took the shuttle bus, got off, and went up the escalator to keep walk on. felt my pockets to make sure I had everything, and noticed my card holder/"wallet" was gone. it had slipped out of my pants when I sat on the bus (the pockets are a bit bad), so not stolen. got back downstairs and a security woman was standing there and told me I had to go back up. told her what had happened but she just said that I'd have to go back up to the customer service and tell them. and there they just said that there's nothing to do, and that I had to wait at least 24h before calling the lost property and get it back. pfft.
wasn't all too much that I lost though. called my brother to cancel the cards, and besides that I just had my Baha'i identification card, student card and some other pieces of paper. luckily no money, and nothing that can't be replaced.

so I was quite mad at myself. walked around at the airport not knowing which gate to go to (information was really bad), and hoped to run into a friend I'd be on the flight with (more about that later). well, after walking around for about 15-20 minutes, I suddenly see him. he'd forgotten about it, so needless to say, he was quite surprised :)

we talked for a while, found the gate, flew back and got picked up by my brother and went back home. food, relaxing, and then time for basketball, which I had looked forward to for two weeks (since I left).

and then comes the most disgusting thing I have seen in quite some time.

before playing, I wanted to take some dunk pictures as well (the others had done it last week when they played). to do it a bit spectacular, I wanted to dunk by throwing the ball at the board, jump up, grab it and then dunk. kinda like this:

(except for behind the back and one-handed dunk.)

well... I'm not as good as lebron james. I failed. miserably. when I was going to catch the ball on its way back, it hit my left pinky finger, who decided to just snap out. first I thought it was just a sprain, but then I looked at it... and yikes. it was bent the wrong way at the first joint. it didn't hurt (!), but was absolutely disgusting.

so without even getting to play anything, I was off to the hospital. and since we were only 5 people, there was nothing for the others, even though they played for a bit.

after a bit of waiting here and there, this is what happened:
the doctor came and tried to pull my finger back into place. naturally, that thought was extremely repulsive to me, so I instinctively fought back. so I had to have anesthesia. two needle shots (and I'm slightly afraid of needles) just under my finger, which then felt weird, and then he pulled it back. just thinking of it now is absolutely disgusting. I got two painkillers as well.
got sent back to wait, because they wanted to do an x-ray on it to make sure nothing was broken. unfortunetaly I didn't get to see/keep the pictures, would've been a fun memory. the doctor asked me if I had any previous injuries to my finger, because there seemed to be some fragments or something there. well, after playing basketball and volleyball for quite some time, I'm not surprised. but there was nothing from this time at least.

so after taping up my pinky with the ring finger (has to stay like this for two weeks; and then I can't put it under any stress for another two weeks), I got to go home, together with my parents, who'd come back from the airport after being away for a week. good place of meeting them for the first time in two weeks, eh? ;)

a big thank you to everyone who kept me company or called to check up on me. my finger is swollen, red and blue, and hurts a bit. but other than that, it's going to be good. I got the offer of taking a picture of it when it was went backwards, but firmly declined.

yikes, what a day!

2 comments:

  1. Ice and elevation will help with the pain/swelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEBRON is KING!!

    ReplyDelete