Tuesday, March 25, 2008

five months in israel

last friday was my 150th day here, and sunday was 5 months of me being here. here's a little something I wrote to our news bulletin back home in sweden.


Summing up five months in the World Centre is not the easiest task in the world. As Mr. Grossman, member of the Universal House of Justice, mentioned during one of his talks, the best description could be "I have seen paradise with its doors wide open." I'll make an attempt.

October 23rd I landed at Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv, and after a short security check I was out in the terminal, ready to start my new life. But that's not how I want to tell my story... instead I want to begin with a Hidden Word:

O SON OF JUSTICE!
Whither can a lover go but to the land of his beloved? and what seeker findeth rest away from his heart's desire? To the true lover reunion is life, and separation is death. His breast is void of patience and his heart hath no peace. A myriad lives he would forsake to hasten to the abode of his beloved.

Being here in Israel is really to be in the "land of one's beloved", and have achieved reunion with one's love. Vi have the opportunity to go to the Shrines every day, something many only experience for a few days during their life; we'll get to meet the members of the Universal House of Justice and International Teaching Centre more or less daily, and listen to their inspiring talks; we are contributing to the building of the new World Order of Bahá'u'lláh; and last but not least, we get to experience an extremely diverse multi-cultural environment with people from all possible countries and backgrounds you can imagine, each and everyone with the same purpose - to serve to one's best ability.

After five months it still feels like I've been here for just a week, everything is equally as new and exciting as it was back then. You're happy about seeing all the pilgrims and visitors, some coming here for the first time; the beauty of the gardens and buildings is breathtaking, the attention to details; all knowledge one acquires from the talks inspires one so much to go home and teach. As one of my friends here said, "the longer I am here, the sooner I want to go home!" There is not a talk that doesn't mention the Five Year Plan in some way, if it is the importance of Anna's presentation or all the teaching successes around the world. I hope to soon be hearing about the successes in Sweden!

On a personal level I think my best experiences have been the volunteering I've been able to do here. Helping guiding at the Shrine of the Báb, and also helping out cleaning after closing, has been very special. I have experienced the pouring rain of Israel during a 40 minute long walk in Akka; we've enjoyed artistic presentations in song, music and dance during Sounds of the World; and I've taken more than 1000 pictures.

You experience a completely different nearness compared to being here as a visitor or pilgrim. I really recommend all youth that read this to consider applying here, even if only for a year. It will definitely change your life for all future.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say that's a pretty wonderful summation! ;)

    ReplyDelete