Thursday, March 20, 2008

summing up the fast

it's been a month of fasting now, and it's been really different from anything before. this is the first time that I'm fasting with so many other Bahá'ís around me, so there naturally have been a very different atmosphere around it. (among other things, a lot of fasting-related jokes have been going home!)

it's been really nice to wake up in the mornings with my flatmates (and a few visitors), have breakfast together, say some prayers, and then go on with the day. a few mornings I've gone back to sleep, and a few others I've stayed up reading. I haven't finished God Passes By yet, have about 100 pages to go, but should be able to do it within a week or so.

the not eating part of it has actually not been difficult at all, which reminds me of this quotation:

In the Prayer of Fasting We have revealed: "Should Thy Will decree that out of Thy mouth these words proceed and be addressed unto them, 'Observe, for My Beauty's sake, the fast, O people, and set no limit to its duration,' I swear by the majesty of Thy glory, that every one of them will faithfully observe it, will abstain from whatsoever will violate Thy law, and will continue to do so until they yield up their souls unto Thee."


I almost feel like I want to keep it up, simply because it is so much easier to just keep on working instead of going for lunch. I manage to keep my train of thought, and with the hour or so lunch break, it takes a while to get back into the working flow again. but then again, it's probably a good idea to keep my body nourished...

as for the spiritual aspects of it, I think being in the World Centre definitely has a special effect on things. it's difficult to explain, but I think it helps to create a greater awareness of the spiritual importance of the fast. it's not as much focus on the not eating part of it, because everyone here already knows about that. fasting is like a dam, we add up spiritual bounties during this time which we can then use for the rest of the year. I'm already looking forward to next year's fasting...

Naw-Rúz, the new year, tomorrow. looking forward to that celebration too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment