Saturday, September 01, 2007

harry potter and the deathly hallows...

... or was it lord of the rings? I read the seventh and last book while in the states, and it took me about 12 hours. that's including lunch and dinner breaks, and a bit of watching football. finished at 3 am.


however, I must say it wasn't as capturing as the other books in the series. there've been times I've been unable to put the book down, and also been able to identify much more with the story of harry in his adventures. it just didn't do it in the same way for me this time around. now I mostly felt like I wanted to keep on reading just to finish it.

many of the things in it were very similar to lord of the rings (eg the horcrux around the neck, affecting the mood of whoever's wearing it; them running away, hiding in the woods, etc) and some also felt that she threw in just because. many of the people dying is an example of that - they were just going left and right without really adding much to the story.

perhaps I should've read it over a couple of days, because that would probably have made me think more about the book and somehow kept my interest up more. but then again, the fact that I did finish it in just one day could also be a quite good review of it. either way, this article should be read as well, about how and why the book fails to deliver. I can't but agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment